What Tennis Can I Watch during the "Offseason"?
Let's be real... There is no "Offseason" for tennis players hence I keep putting it in quotations. But I guess we do have about a month until the season techinally starts again in Australia and the AO begins in Jan. The first tournament of the season being the ATP Cup Brisbane/Perth/Sydney, Australia Jan 3-12 2020. So the question is what options do we have for the next couple weeks for tennis. Well you have the Davis Cup this week, some low end opens (players trying to keep the dream alive) Exhibitions and of course AD Out.
What do I need to know about the 2019 Davis Cup?
- Former world No. 7 Mardy Fish has been named as USA’s new Davis Cup captain
- USA, despite winning a record 32 Davis Cup titles over the years, has not won the world's premier international team competition since 2007, when Andy Roddick, James Blake, Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan
- Tiafoe, Fritz and Reilly Opelka are all aged 22 and under, representing USA in Madrid alongside 32-year-old Sam Querrey and 27-year-old Jack Sock.
- Canada is also headlined by two young stars in the making, in the form of 20-year-old Denis Shapovalov and 19-year-old Felix Auger-Aliassime. They will attempt to score a first-ever win for Canada over the United States in what will be the 16th clash between the two nations.
- It will feature 18 teams in six groups of three with the four-man winning team reportedly receiving 2.4 million dollars ($A3.5 million) from a total pot of more than $US20 million.
- Alexander Zverev is not impressed by the revamped Davis Cup competition, starting next week in Spain, and will not play for Germany. ""I think Davis Cup is the most historic event that we have in tennis, which is over 100 years old, and Davis Cup is the home-and-away ties. That's Davis Cup for me, and not playing it at one venue for one week and deciding it all.
What Exhibitions are going on this Winter?
Fed is taking his talents to Latin America to play in 5 exhitibitons matches which include Alex Zverev who opted to not play the Davis Cup for Germany. Fed stands to earn $1.5M per match ha! Federer will play fellow Atp friend Del Potro and others in 6 days in South America.
Open Tournaments 32K Purse
I love these low end tournaments. This is where you have the biggest mix of tennis players who have everything to gain or nothing to lose. There are washed up tennis players that were once top ranked players just looking for a pay check or some thing to do, to recent college grads trying to make it to big leagues. While these are much better to watch in person you can find out some info about the Mercedes-Benz of Scottsdale Tennis Tournament.
I hope these events are enough to keep you busy for a bit. But if they aren't enough make sure to check out the youtube series AD OUT. Finally a tennis show where the actors know how to play tennis!