Easy To Follow Rules of Pickleball For Beginners
What Are The Rules Of Pickleball?
- Points can only be won by the server, if the returner wins the point it is their turn to serve.
- The serve is done underarm, the ball is not allowed to bounce before the serve is hit, and the serve must clear the no volley zone.
- The serve has to go into the opposing diagonal part of the court.
- Only one serve attempt is allowed, except if the ball touches the net on the serve and lands in the proper service court, in this case the serve may be taken over.
- At the start of each new game, the first serving team is allowed only one fault before giving up the ball to the opponents. Thereafter both members of each team will serve and fault before the ball is turned over to the opposing team.
- When the receiving team wins the serve, the player in the right- hand part of the court will always start play.
- Volleys are allowed in pickleball, however there is a double bounce rule: the returners must let the serve bounce, and the servers must let the first return bounce. After this, volleys are allowed as long as the player is out of the no volley zone.
Pickleball Rules and Regulations
Pickleball is played on a 44-foot by 20-foot court, with a 7 foot no volley zone on either side of the 36-inch net. It can be played in singles or doubles. These are the five situations when a ball is out:
1) Touches any part of the non-volley zone on the serve (including the line)
2) Is hit out of bounds
3) Does not clear the net
4) Is volleyed from the non-volley zone
5) Is volleyed before a bounce has occurred on each side
Scoring in Pickleball
A team shall score a point only when serving. A player who is serving shall continue to do so until a fault is made by his/her team. If playing doubles, each player on a team shall keep serving until their team makes a fault, then the serve moves to the opposing team - this is called a Side Out. Similarly to tennis, the players can place themselves on the court how they would like. For example, the server has to be at the baseline, but his partner can be further up the court to pressure the other team, or also at the baseline. The same goes for the returners, the returner must be at the baseline, but his partner is allowed anywhere. The score is announced by first saying whoever is serving’s score and then the returner. For example, if the person serving is winning with seven points while his opponent only has five, this would be announced as 7-5.
Pickleball is fun game that can be enjoyed by all walks of life. It is great for people who love racquet sports and it is also great for people who want a little easier version of tennis. You can even use takin tennis grips on a pickleball paddle! Where do you play pickleball?